Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Aug 2002 03:16:37 -0700
From:         John Dagastino <themisanthropicmeanie@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ford Excursion is DEAD ? (longish reply)
Comments: To: Andrew Fox <afox@cnr.colostate.edu>

vanagons are a special case.

Andrew Fox <afox@cnr.colostate.edu> said: >Right so the vanagons we have that were built in >germany are great and all >the american cars suck. Thats why my well-maintenced >86 vanagon is on its 3rd set of heads, 2nd tranny, 3rd >PS rack, and numerous other replaced parts. ITs a piece of shit.

vanagons do not have to be just well maintaned, but babied and pampered and driven very gently to expect any reliability. i think the people who say they get [large number here] of miles out of their van without any heavy duty maintenance are the ones who are really, REALLY gentle with their vans. with maybe a bit of verve here and there, but only a bit.

the following is a lot of opinion, but if i didn't think it the truth, then it wouldn't be my opinion in the first place now would it?:

the water cooled models are a hacked version of the air cooled ones. the design of the mechanical systems seems to be a derivative of those used in older model rear engine air cooled volkswagens. the inside of the engine case is almost exactly the same. (save for the deeper oil sump and oil filter casting)

notice i said 'derivative' not 'evolution' dare i say the vanagon's mechanical design (esp. in the power and reliablity department) can be called a standstill at best. not that much different from the older busses. this is not a good thing.

try Audi, or any newer VW.

are there any other VWs that were ever as problematic as the vanagon? if there were i don't know of them.

proof of the fact that poor judgement was used in engineering the vanagon is the fact that some fool thought it would be a good idea to put a rabbit diesel engine in a vanagon and ask it to work itself to death just to move the van.

and the syncro slider hub breakage problem can be said to be proof that the transmission was not beefed up enough to handle the extra load over the older bus designs.

and the waterboxer engine is..just... stupid. i beleive that the design might have been more reliable had it been placed in a smaller, more aerodynamic vehicle. the demands placed upon such a small engine by such a large vehicle are simply too much. this is why things break so easily. why they decreased the displacement down from 2.0 liters as the last of the twinkie busses to 1.9 in the vanagon confuses me. did they want it to be weak? *puzzle*. seems like 4 or 5 steps backwards to me.

[ shoulda put an inline-4 from something that makes enough hp so that the engine doesn't have to labor so hard to get moving. it escapes me as why anyone would think putting such a small engine in the vanagon would be a good idea. i have to wonder if they actually drove them after they built them. ]

Such a slow vehicle could only have been acceptable in times long passed, when the technology to build faster and more efficient vehicles did not exist. i feel that even at it's release date that the vanagon was technologically obsolete.

Save for the fuel injection and power steering, barely anything can be said to be modern about the vanagon. the body panels of all things irk me the most. makes it feel like a tin can. cardboard panels over an empty wall. a design more fitting for the old twinkie/breadloaf busses. the fact that it began life as an air cooled automobile as late as the 1980s must tell you that VW did not care about being up to date. vanagons even use the same black steel wheels as the older busses.

and converting an air cooled design to watercooling without completely redesigning it should make anyone nervous about reliability problems. i have read that VW didn't want to upgrade its' factories too much in "upgrading" to the waterboxer, but in doing so it stuck a lot of people with a poor quality engine.

one last point is that i hate, absolutely loathe the idea of pipes stuck to the front (or back, or Whatever) of the engine instead of drilled passages for coolant, this more than anything else makes the WBX seem like a hack. instead of a hollow water jacket, it should have been made solid and then bored out for cylinders and coolant passages. and the head gaskets should have a groove on both sides (with a lip on the head to fit into the groove. oh, and if you look closely at the top of the engine you can see the seam where the water jackets were just 'stuck on'. bleurgh. nasty. makes me worry that they're gonna pop off one of these days.

it should be pretty obvious that the WBX is a descendant of the original beetle engine design. and i don't think that trying to take an engine that was designed only to power a small vehicle and continuing to use it for so many vehicles thereafter was even remotely a good idea. they should have abandonded the classic boxer engine design well before they did. and either replaced it with a modern boxer. or something else entirely.

just IMHO, -john

oh, and one final point, having to tear the whole blasted engine down to clean the oil screen is absolutely insane. why they took the sump plate out of the design is a complete mystery to me. if subaru can have a boxer engine with an oil pan, so can VW. *grumble*

(me dons my asbestos and titanium suit and waits for the flames to start)