Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 22:27:55 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
              i don't want to sell my van!!!!!!!!!

>Andrew writes: >"The T2 was strong, roomy, comfortable, plenty fast enough... and it >handled extremely well..." > >ROTFLMAO

Wuzzat when it's at home?

>I can agree that it had some strength, in that the gearing VW provided >allowed you to haul amazing amounts of stuff with only 68 hp.

My 1800 (with 1916 slip-in kit, no other modifications) had est 100hp, and went extremely well.

> the range of "strong vehicles" >like the Dodge Ram 10v pickup, or the Ford Diesel pickup

Garbage boxes. Dangerous at any speed.

>Comfortable? Let's see, the t2 featured un-adjustable,

My driver's seat was adjustable. It was also comfortable. Though I replaced it with a rally bucket for cornering security... no more bracing myself with my knees.

> stinky

Not

>horsehair/vinyl seats, rubber covered floors, ear-splitting noise,

Mine wasn't noisy, though more so than my Caravelle.

>ergonomics apparently >developed for use in concentration camps...

Don't agree. But I'm fairly tall and have very long arms, so the big flat wheel was comfortable ... i could rest my arms across it in bith the Split and Bay. With upright wheels I get numb arms (nerve pinching in elbows).

>I rest my case.

No you don't!

>Fast? Neither is.

140kmh (87.5mph) and still accelerating on the flat while overtaking isn't slow, neither is an easy 80mph cruise. American Bays mush have been WAY down on power.

>Handled extremely well??? You are completely joking, aren't you.

No. If you are afraid to hurl a Bay around a tight twisty narrow hilly country road, that's your problem. I'm not, and that van really got aropund those bends. That was BEFORE I put konis into it. It was possible to lift the inside-rear wheel, but so what? That didn't slow it down. It was neutral, normally no oversteer (though the one time I overcooked a corner mild oversteer did step in and save my bacon. My Caravelle understeers badly. It's a pig. That's with correct alignment. Understeer does NOT contribute to good handling or enthusiast-driver enjoyment.

The US market probably got soft suspension, as well as less power. but then, US-market BMWs handle like blancmanges because of the US market's desire for a "comfy" ride.

>A Porsche Boxster handles "extremely well". Compared to a t2 bus, a Geo >Metro

You mean Suzuki Cultus.

>handles "extremely well". The t2 is the farthest opposite extreme. >In fact I wonder if ANY vehicles handle worse than a VW bus; not many. >Even in the best shape the t2 is vague, unresponsive, drifty, >sloth-like, and loathsome to drive.

Crap.

>Some like t2's, >but by-in-large it is a style choice, not a choice of >reliability, handling or performance.

I don't really like the looks of the T2, it's oddball. I don't choose a vahicle for looks. I like it because of its versatility and handling. The T1 is beautiful, the T3 very much dependent on trim and color.

Stop bulleying the poor ol' T2. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut