Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Aug 2002 23:50:39 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil leak in 82 vanagon
Comments: To: Randrhulbert@aol.com

There is no doubt that you have a leak, you see it. There are a few funny things about an air cooled type IV engine though. If you check your oil with the van sitting in your drive way on a nice flat surface before you start your engine first thing in the morning it should be at or just below the MAX mark on your dip stick. After you start your engine and run it for a few minutes you'll find that the level is 1/4" lower. This is ok since the oil is in your cooler, lifters and oil galleries. This sounds like a bunch of nun-such but you need to run the van 100 miles and determine how much oil you're loosing. Here is how it breaks down, when you're checking the oil be sure you are on a very level location. The Type IV oil pan is like a cookie sheet and a little slant can cause you to add too much oil. When you have too much oil it gets airborne in the crankcase and gets sucked through your breather or is blown out through marginal seals (mostly push rod O rings or Valve covers). I'd suggest that you install new valve cover gaskets ($4.00 parts) and spray clean your engine area on the bottom side with Gunk Engine cleaner to make any leaks easier to locate. I've included a link to more info for new Air Cooled Vanagon owners. I'm assuming of course that it is not a diesel you're discussing. http://williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/shapingup.htm

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 00:25:15 EDT Rachelle Hulbert <Randrhulbert@AOL.COM> writes: > We just purchased this 82 vanagon. it's really a great motor, but > has > slight motor leak. want to take on long road trip. should I have > it checked > out? anything to worry about? thanks for your input. rachelle >