Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Aug 2002 20:39:11 -0700
From:         Rob Scott <rob@UNIXGUY.COM>
Subject:      Wiring warning: corrosion on AC main feed wire

I though that I'd post a note warning others to watch out for a potentially hazardous wiring condition I found today that some of you may also have.

Yesterday I was going through my AC system electrical circuits after charging the system with ES-12 (problems with the charging hose sold to me by the ES-12 dealer but that's another story). I discovered that the main supply wire to the AC electrical system got hot, really HOT right at the junction block on the 50-amp solid metal fuse connection. This junction is located inside the rearmost portion of the storage cabinet on my 1990 Westie MV.

The main feed wire is of good size (10ga?) but the crimped ring connector is what gets so hot. I suspect that corrosion and heat over time have raised the wire resistance in the joint. It gets so hot that the 50-amp metal fuse stamping appears to have been warped a bit and when hot the plastic insulation gets dangerously soft.The copper wire is discolored and has become quite stiff for approximately one inch below the connector.

Today I removed the corroded wire and connector. I replaced it with a stainless steel high-temp ring crimp connector. I tinned the wire prior to crimping, and heated the wire until the solder flowed after I crimped the connector in place. Even when running the AC fans on high, the connector now gets no more than warm to the touch.

Failure to correct this could have caused other wires in contact with the hot wire to burn through. Eventually the 50-amp fuse may have melted or the junction block may have melted. A short of the 10-gauge wire to ground (should it have melted) may even have shorted out an entire portion of the wiring harness.

I suggest that anyone with AC check this junction at your earliest opportunity. Turn on your AC and let it run for a minute or two, then check the temp of the wiring junction where the main 10-gauge feed wire is screwed to the relay block.

Regards, Rob p.s. Boy, have I learned a lot about AC in a short couple of days. Once I figured out where the wiring diagram for it was in Bentley, things were much easier.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Rob Scott, mailto:rob@unixguy.com Langley, Washington on Whidbey Island (a suburb with a moat)