Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:39:31 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Audi-VW-Diesels] Re: HELP WATER IN MY TANK!!!!!
Comments: To: Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com
Comments: cc: Arthur Sauerhaft <kivka@EARTHLINK.NET>

Ethanol and Diesels don't mix when water is present. Bad idea. The ethanol binds with the water and remains separate. No gain.

Better idea: if the Vanagon diesel came with a water separator [big white bin with a spigot on the bottom] (1985 Jetta TD does; Been Here, Done This) drain the water separator until clear fuel comes out. If it doesn't have a separator, then let the van sit overnight, and drain the water out of the tank from the fuel outlet on the tank. The diesel will rise to the top, and only water will come out at first.

Next, buy a small hand/oil pump. The perfect one for this is the type sold to pump transmission fluid from large containers through a plastic hose to the tranny. I got one for about $8 at a FLAPS when this water thing happened to me. I can send a pic of the pump if you aren't sure what I'm talking about.

Use that hand pump connected to the fuel line at the filter to pull the water/fuel through the fuel line to the back of the van, clearing the lines of water. Change the fuel filter/separator. Refill new one with fuel.

There is no simple way to drain the pump, other than cranking. At this point, your tank, lines, and fuel filter are relatively water free. The separator and filter will take care of the rest of the water, but check the separator/filter frequently and drain.

Next, you are ready to crank the van. Hook up the best jumper cables you can find to the van, and to a car with an excellent battery and alternator. Have a mate high-idle the car at about 2500 while you do this. Crank the van for 15-25 seconds at a time, allowing a couple minutes to cool the starter between cranking. EVENTUALLY, all of the water in the pump will be injected, and mostly fuel will remain in the pump body, and the van will begin to fire.

Once it is running DO NOT DRIVE IT. High idle to van (2000 rpm) for 15-20 minutes to remove the remaining fuel from the pump body. I didn't do this, and got the nasty surprise of the car chugging and lurching and nearly cutting off in traffic.

As for my experience with this (about 170k ago) it didn't do any apparent harm, though I worried form months about the non-lubricity of water in the pump.

Pax--

G. Matthew Bulley

Mount Olive, NC

-----Original Message----- From: Nate Wall [mailto:nwall@opei.org] Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 9:59 AM To: Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com Cc: Arthur Sauerhaft; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: [Audi-VW-Diesels] Re: HELP WATER IN MY TANK!!!!!

<<Get to pharmacy and purchase a couple gallons of ethanol.>>>Don't know if you can do this. Thai is the same as grain alcohol, and may be highly taxed. Use "Dry Gas", its either propyl or methyl alcohol.

Jim Arnott wrote:

Here's what we did when we ran a service station and the attendent accidently put gasoline in a Diesel...

First, with water, you have a bit of an advantage in that it's heavier than Diesel and it's soluable in ethanol.

Get to the local FLAPS and get an electric fuel pump, the necessary hose

barbs and about 6' of fuel hose. Remove the fuel line at the injection pump and attach to inlet of fuel pump. Place hose from pump outlet into gas can and start the pump. Run pump until tank is empty changing cans as necessary. (If it's full, you'll need four 5 gallon cans.) Get to pharmacy and purchase a couple gallons of ethanol. Add one gallon of ethanol to tank and run electric pump until tank is empty. Repeat.

Replace fuel filter. Add five gallons of Diesel to fuel tank. Use electric pump to prime the system. Loosen fuel lines at injectors and crank engine until you have no bubbles and no sign of water. (You can leave the electric pump in the system until you get it fired...)

I used WD-40 to fire the engine. Have a helper crank the engine while you give short bursts of WD-40 into the intake. (DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

Too much WD-40 will cause a runaway.)

That should get you going again.

Jim Arthur Sauerhaft wrote: > I screwed up royally and got a significant amount of water(+/- 2-3 LITERS) > in my tank. Of course I tried starting it till my battery almost went dead, > I replaced 2 glow plugs (#1 and #4) also tired starting with straight ATF. I > believe I siphoned off most or all of the water through the fuel lines. I > also drained the filter and I plan on replacing it when this all over. How > do get my engine going again? Could I have done any serious damage? > TIA > Arthur > '82 Vanagon Diesel (the Beast) > A BioDiesel project > Happily puttering along with a 1.9NA UNTIL THIS MORNING > > . >