Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:13:32 -0500
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust install question -- sealant?
Comments: To: Will Morris <wjm6@CORNELL.EDU>

Will Morris wrote: > > I have actually not started yet. Still gathering parts and trying to > finally finish a cv joint on our 86 Cabriolet... > > This is my first Vanagon exhaust job. I am also doing the whole thing > from the manifolds on, except for the cat and the muffler. Haven't > even looked at the situation yet -- too scared, don't want to know -- > I am in upstate NY salt country, so the whole thing is a single, > fused rust mass... ugh... my (current) plan is to keep squirting a > penetrant on the bolts and be as gentle and patient as possible. > Judicious, careful heat can sometimes help... > > I guess all you can do is go for it and see what happens... I'll let > you know what I learn as I get into it. > > Let me know how it goes for you...good luck! > > Will > > >Will, I am installing a new exhaust system on my '85 Vanagon this week > >coming up as well....the whole thing, end to end.......I am interested to > >hear what folks say about the sealant on the gaskets as well.....was going > >to ask that question myself too.....my question to you, since it sounds like > >you are in to the project already.....were you able to get all of those > >exhause bolts out without dropping the motor?.....some of the bolts look > >tough to get ahold of with anything but a ratchet...and, if they are as hard > >to get out as I am thinking, the ratchet will fail....so I'm thinking, how > >am I going to cut the heads off those bolts if I have to?....or, how will I > >get a drill in there to use an easy out.....sure, mystery oil on those bolts > >for 24 hours prior, but will it be enough to save me from having to pull the > >motor??...something tells me...maybe not...bummer!...but, if I have to drop > >it, I have to....just wondering if anyone has done it without doing > >so....man, those bolts look perty darn rusty up in there!! > > > >I appreciate in advance your recent exhaust knowledge my friend..... > > > >Thanks alot, > >Dustin > >'85 Vanagon - Chuba > > > > > > > >-----Original Message----- > >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf > >Of Will Morris > >Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 3:30 PM > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Subject: Exhaust install question -- sealant? > > > > > >I am installing new exhaust components in my 85 Vanagon GL: both > >manifolds and the j-pipe that connects them to the catalytic > >converter. > > > >Should I use a hi-temp sealant with any of the gaskets? If so, which one? > > > >thanks, > > > >Will > > > >- - - > >Will Morris > >http://www.machinelab.com/

A good quality ratchet of reasonable length should give you enough torque to break the bolts; of course you don't want to break them or round off their heads. Since the bolt heads or nuts get smaller as they rust, you need sockets of an assortment of sizes, smaller than the original 13 mm. 1/2 inch is slightly smaller than 13 mm, but typically you need 12 mm, 7/16 and sometimes even 11 mm. 6 point, of course. It is better to drive a socket on that is a little too small than to use a size that's to loose. Deep sockets may be needed when you encounter long studs. Sometimes a little patient grinding with a dremel is needed to restore the hexagonal shape when a bolt head has not rusted symmetrically. Soaking with PB Blaster is probably more effective than Mystery oil, but we all have our favorites. Lots of tapping is good; be cautious about heat because it increases the chances of removing some of the thread from the aluminum head. Squeezing a nut as hard as you can with visegrips in all three directions will help expand and loosen it. To gently clean up the aluminum threads, I sometimes make a thread chaser from a bolt. Using a dremel with a cut off disk, cut two or three grooves thru the threads the long way along the bolt. Use a very small file to remove any burrs on the threads caused by the cut off disk. Now that I have my 4th van, I have finally learned to reassemble exhaust systems with stainless steel bolts and use anti-sieze compound.

good luck, Larry A.