Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:37:41 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Type 4 headwork??
Comments: To: gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM

Seems like Robert Lilly thinks rougher is better when having the heads, piston tops ceramic coated for even combustion temperature and smooth flow. I think you can control cc by stacking base shims or milling cylinder height or cutting cylinder height / heads in the gasket area.

If you find a miracle, please advise us.

Stan Wilder

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:36:17 -0400 "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> writes: > Howdy Folks- > > Who do we like for doing reliable repair/mild performance headwork > on > Type 4 heads? > > I have a 1982 Westfalia that in retrospect, I wish I would have > stroked, > rather than bored. But nonetheless, it is a 2056 cc with 96mm P/Cs, > a > counterweighted crank, a race balance, Pertronix ignition, and > basically > stock everything else (except oil coolers/oil pump). > > I have a pair of 2.o 1982 heads that I would like to have cleaned-up > and > cc'd to give a little smoother/better performance to this very mild > motor. I'm not looking for race stuff, I have to keep stock fuel > injection for emissions, but can get away with some stuff. > Reliability, > mileage, and smoothness (sound) are all considerations. Performance > increase desired, but not at the absolute exchange of those > considerations. > > Thoughts on Who, and What to do appreciated. > > G. Matthew Bulley > Divine Emporer of the > Aircooled Heat, Anti-Rust, No-Noise Web Page > http://www.bulley-hewlett.com/VWindex/ > Owner of too many VW's to mention > Mount Olive, NC >