Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:51:43 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: (OT,
              but important) The Ford Excursion is DEAD!!!! YEEEEEEEAAAAAHHH!!
              YES YES YES YES!!! W00000H000000!
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

>>die. evil SUVs. every last one of you. DIE DIE DIE. > >How did the Americans ever coin a name like sport utility for a type >of vehicle which in most cases is the antithesis of sporty?

Because the typical American suburanite believes whatever the marketing department, the "enthusiast" car mags (another "vehicle" for the marketing department), and the government tells them. Bunch of DAMN SHEEP!

Until people free up a bit of brain power to question what goes on around them, they'll always believe what ever tripe is on the tube or in print.

Low fat food? Usually high in some other category that isn't good for you? Democrat in trouble? 'Cause a Republican took to time to look for some dirt... Repub in trouble? Same scenario. They are ALL crooks! You've got to vote for the lesser of two evils or vote for the independent guy/gal if there is one to be had and then watch one of the two mainstream folks get the office.

It is the same for the American perception of the rest of the world. The only information from the mainstream media depicts the rest of the world as either tourist areas or 3rd World areas of poverty and despair. Very, very seldom do we see typical daily life in any other country but Britain. The US media moguls keep out mainstream entertainment from other countries unless it is a movie (Harry Potter) or music (U2) that they can distribute as a money maker for themselves. Even the mainstream WORLD news spends more than 50% of it's time reviewing US domestic affairs.

Every other country I've visited (including Italy where I lived for three years) has a long list of import entertainment and goods from around the world. The US has Japanese stuff and that's about it. The other places I have been have a pretty good understanding of the whole world, the US talks alot about itself. Watch the news. The BBC, Dwelle and Austrailia ABC will show some foreign place and it is a normal looking place. When the US media shoots the same story - it is a 3rd World wasteland. Weird.

There is an old saying - a TAXI driver in Rome is more cultured than a college grad in America. I believe it.

Etc. etc. etc. etc.

I feel much, much better. I'm going home to work on my Trans-Vair.

Chris M. <"Busbodger" of "TEAM SLOWPOKE"> Cookeville, Tennessee

ICQ# 5944649 scm9985@tntech.edu

'78 VW Westfalia (67 HP -> that is...67 Hamster Power) '65 Beetle - Type IV powered '99 CR-V AWD station wagon '81 CB900 Custom moto-chickle 2.5 Corvair engines for my Trans-vair Conversion