Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:55:20 -0700
From:         Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: EVC or Westy Syncro ... Ultimate Trip Vehicle?
Comments: To: Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

hey, larry:

On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 05:43 AM, Larry Chase wrote: > Trip Assumptions: > > 1. Duration .. continuous travel for approx. 1 yr (US, Mexico, Canada, > Alaska, Nova Scotia etc)

as long as you got the money and the time, any will do.

> 2. Gas Mileage

depends upon engine (gas, diesel, subaru, tiico, other inline 4, other) combined with whether it's an evc, syncro westy, or westy. i believe, given the same engine type/size, the westy will do the best and the syncro westy will do the worst (i don't know what kind of mileage an ev gets). that can also change if gearing changes have enabled the driver to change the way the van is driven, though.

we get between 13 and 18 mpg in our syncro westy, depending upon topography, headwind, and type of driving (city or highway).

> 3. Ability to travel into moderate back country (off road) areas.

syncro westy, westy, evc.

we've only touched the surface of our syncro's potential, and it's amazing. once i've got new shocks, springs, engine, and tranny settled in there, i doubt there's many places we'd want to get to we won't be able to go (unless they're off-limits due to other reasons). i hear westy's are excellent on many "off" roads, especially if properly sprung and damped. a locking rear differential can also make a world of difference, according to some folks. i think an evc is largely a paved-road vehicle.

> 4. Parts Availability

probably evc is easiest (many dealers should have a way to get you parts), but with cellphone and volkscafe, vanagain, and bus depot phone numbers, you're generally only a fedex package away from most items. plus, the westy interior is great for hiding spares. evc is more expensive in parts (dealer-only, most of them).

> 5. Repair Availability (Breakdowns & Preventative Maintenance)

newer vehicles tend to break down less than older ones, but well-maintained vehicles break down even less than that. i find my syncro westy to be easy to work on, given the correct tools. i wouldn't touch a eurovan, at least not without having much more experience with them than i do now.

> 6. Travel Comfort

depends upon number travelling, but unless the evc is MUCH more comfy than a westy, the only thing i can think of that could be telling is the engine/driving noise of a westy. it gets tiresome, though sound-reduction materials, good seals, and a different engine (esp a subaru) can decrease the noise.

> 7. Overall reliability

again, it all depends upon how the van has been maintained prior to your use of it. once i get my syncro westy dialed in (it hadn't been well-cared for by the PO) i wouldn't have any problems taking it on a trip of any length. with a eurovan i would want to have a credit card with a large balance to take care of the mechanical issues that (could) arise; with my syncro i have faith that i can get through most things (with help from the list or listees) and stay on the road, rather than in a hotel.

> 8. Cost of travel (Maint, Fuel, etc)

sum the above.

good luck!

bill