Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:49:39 -0600
From:         Keith Adams <vanagon_syncro@TELUSPLANET.NET>
Subject:      help with function of idle stabilizer

I have been trying to root out an intermittent high idle (2000 rpm) on my 86 2.1 .

- I have pulled the control unit for the idle stabilizer out from behind the tail light and opened it up. It is less than 3 years old form the receipts I have from the PO and it looks all shiny and new inside still - I have changed the idle stabilizer valve with a spare that I have. No effect. - the Temp II sender was changed last year (maybe year before) - could it be bad? - the idle position switch on the throttle body seems to be working fine and clicking at the right spots. - disconnecting the idle stabilizer valve seems to fix the high idle.

How do you test the idle stablizer valve itself? If it hums, is that good enough?

What are the other inputs into the idle stablilzer circuit?

I get this high idle when warm and cold on an intermittent basis. Some times, pressing the throttle and releasing fixes it, other times not. The high idle appears when it's hot outside, or cold(er) outside, but not always. I'm a bit stymied and since we are headed on a two week road trip, I'd like to have a handle on this.

Please reply via p-mail as I'm in nomail at the moment. TIA! -- Keith Adams Calgary, AB, CA || http://www.clubveedub.com 86 Westy "Roxy" || 64 Beetle