Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:37:58 -0400
From:         "Warner, Jeff (DSIO-MS)" <Jeff.Warner@DSIO.DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Fast Idle Problem & Timing Advance

Volks,

I too have been plagued by the fast idle syndrome. I thought I should pass along my recent experiences.

A couple months back when the problem started happening (engine warm or cold), I took a quick look at things, pulled the idle control valve, cleaned it and pow! it was fixed! For a week. It was perfect for a week! When I fired it up to leave on a weekend camping trip it was instantly back to the high idle and wouldn't let up. So I pulled the connector on the valve and dealt with warm up issues for the weekend.

Next two months I didn't look at it but did some research and planned an approach.

Monday night I did the following:

Checked again for vacumm leaks - none found Cleaned and replaced ground wires - no effect Installed new Temp II sensor - no effect Checked Throttle Position Switch - Not working, fixed it, no effect Checked output of oxygen sensor - Right on the money at 5 volts Replaced the Idle Control Valve with unit from my '87 - BINGO!

Purrs like a champ!

Decided to check the timing, found it at about 3 degrees BTDC so advanced it to 5 and found idle too fast again but not as fast as before. Reasoning that the idle had increased due to the timing change I backed off the idle screw which seemed to correct things but I'm not sure. It was 1 AM so I had to stop messing with it but I suspect that the idle control valve is once again messing with me.

Questions: How much of a change in idle RPM can I expect from a two degree change in advance? Any thoughts on what might be causing my throttle control valves to fail after working initially? I've got another one I might try tonight.

Thanks again.

Jeff Warner Galloway, OH '87 GL Weekender "Van" '86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender "Barry" CI 94 (including compressors!)