Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:47:34 -0700
From:         Ryan Alfonso <cyranoleo@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tiico - Welding Engine Mount

I've observed the frame bending syndrome on mine too! I comiserated heavily with Matthew Pollard about this. We've collected photos from many TiiCo'ists and strategised on various solutions. I decided to throw money at the problem rather than welding anything.

The alternative to welding the bracket to the frame rail, or welding the pieces of the left engine carrier together, is to replace teh left engine carrier with a solid one.

You'll need two parts from an '83 diesel vanagon. 251 199 257 "retaining plate", and 251 199 203E "engine carrier, left"; about $260 total.

Bolting these together is simple and relieves that torsional stress from the pivot point in the old mount. It's been working great for the last few months. I've done some pretty nasty dirt-roads lately too.

There is additional engine noise in the higher frequency, but the motor really feels well held in place now. Used to be when I'd go through a pot hole or over a huge bump, the engine/tranny would feel like it kept moving a bit longer than the rest of the car.

Send me a note if you'd like some pictures or the ETKA page describing the parts breakdown.

Happy motoring!