Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:02:26 -0700
From:         Nolan Hester <waywest@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Evaporative Cooler Field report (aka swamp cooler)

Hi all,

Back in June, I found that the archives contained nary a report from anyone who'd actually used an evaporative cooler in their vanagon. I took the plunge anyway and bought the Swampy T154 (http://www.swampy.net/12vcombo.html) for a week-long July trip through the Mojave Desert and Colorado Plateau. The upshot: It worked well and kept us pretty comfortable.

Here are the details:

PRICE At $287, I think it's way overpriced (an ABS shell and reservoir, a couple of fiber pads and a 3-speed blower that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket). On the other hand, if you don't have AC and drive in the low-humidity West, it's worth it. And it's way cheaper than the $410-$575 Ram-Air (http://www.classicaire.com/page2.html ).

PERFORMANCE We were very glad to have the Swampy when we went through Needles CA at 10 p.m. and it was still 100 degrees outside. It made an otherwise death drive bearable. It won't put icicles on your nose but it definitely cools down the interior. The thing will NOT work in humid (back East) climates but for a low-humidity, desert area it works surprisingly well.

With its 3-speed fan, it moves the cool air pretty far. With it sitting between the front seats, I could feel it even while on the back bench seat. Our dog definitely appreciated it and claimed the back-pointing vents as her own.

It's small enough to easily fit between the front seats and still leave room enough to go back and forth to the back area. At 15 inches tall, however, the vents have trouble clearing the sides to the front seats. Setting it on a little Rubbermaid tub, it was perfectly positioned to get driver and passenger--plus the rub kept it from tipping over on sharp curves. (Though it never spit or spilled any water.) There's another model, the T304, that's 22 inches tall, which would clear the seat sides without a boost.

POWER ISSUES When the Swampy's fan is on high, it draws 13.9 amps. I ran it on high at one point but it zapped the dash clock, which went entirely blank for a few minutes until reappearing with the proper time. No other apparent effects but just to be safe I thereafter ran it no higher than the middle setting, which was plenty high actually. BTW, if you have a second deep-cycle battery, the manufacturer says it will run 8-17 hours at low or medium speeds without charging. That means you could potentially run it overnight while sleeping--the cord's long enough to snake the unit back to the bench seat/bed.

LASTLY You need to allow 3 one-hour sessions to initially flush the cooling pads, so be sure to buy it a few days before you head into the desert.

Hope that helps--and now the info's in the archive for future desert travellers!

Nolan 87 Westy "Hanz"