Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Aug 2002 17:50:19 -0400
From:         Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC upgrade - in-dash

I have one of the Behr units in mid installation...to mate up with my factory rear unit....but....

I called the guy from European Cooler, his name is Jerry West. His shop is near Dallas, Texas.

http://www.europeancoolerair.com/ftrmkt01.htm

Sounds very knowledgeable and has a custom designed kit for front air in a Vanagon that sounds to me like it has advantages over the Behr unit.

1. Evaporator is more efficeint - 16,000BTU's vs 12,000 for the Behr.

2. Unit is smaller and (HERE'S THE BIG ONE) ....it doesn't require removal of the dashboard to install it. Take it from me.....that's a BIG DEAL! I did it and it's a major PITA.

3. You don't lose half your glove box as you do with the Behr.

4. He sells a custom made center vent that fits on top of the dashboard above the ash tray hole so that you get to keep your radio in its normal location. Also a BIG DEAL!.

Kit parts to mate a front blowing system into your existing factory rear unit are about $700.

Whole kit if your van has no factory air is about $1800.

Very friendly ....very knowledgeable guy. If I didn't have my Behr unit 90% in, I think I would go with his system instead.

My 2 cents.

Warren Chapman