Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 2002 19:24:23 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why this type IV engine caught fire,
              spun the mains and ruined everything.
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

[2002-08-08 15:11 -0500] Stan Wilder (wilden1@JUNO.COM) wrote:

> If someone has never had a Type IV or other engine laid out across their > garage floor they don't know how gruesome that one little picture is. > It just screams ........... "check everything again", at me. > After about six of these type IV rebuilds I never gave much thought to > the way that case just snapped together. I know now that initial snap > without force is the sign of OK. > This could have happened to the best rebuilder in the world if he were > distracted or worrying about his aching back. > The owner of this burnt van was very disappointed and after working for > five hours getting the engine and transmission out, there was another > four hours of stripping off the curled sheet metal and scraping off > melted plastic and rubber debris, I think you could say I was > disappointed too. > After several hours of checking the rods, crank, bearings with > micrometers and cleaning various parts for a better inspection I just > decided that this whole engine had to go into the dumpster. I reached the > point that I was about to use a cutting torch to melt off the 2&4 pistons > to get the case separated. > There just wasn't anything left in the engine that I'd consider running > myself and I wanted the temptation to use any of these parts gone from my > thinking. > > Stan Wilder

Hi Stan --

I'm wondering if you could give a bit more detailed description of what the rebuilder did wrong? I've rebuilt my air-cooled Type IV, and hope never to do it again (I've gone diesel ;), but I'm still interested!

I get that the case is somehow snapped together wrong, but in what way, and how did you detect it on disassembly?

Thanks!

Gary