Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:15:37 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Why this type IV engine caught fire,
              spun the mains and ruined everything.
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>

[2002-08-08 21:18 -0500] Stan Wilder (wilden1@juno.com) wrote: > If you look at the bearing you'll see that the pin missed the bearing > alignment hole. > The pin applied undue pressure on the bearing that may have been a > friction factor as well. > The bearing became ever so lightly egg shaped as the case tightened, this > condition may not have caused the crank to lock while the rods / etc were > being installed but eventually it caused the engine to fail from oil > starvation to almost all engine bearings. > Every bearing shows signs of operating under extreme heat and are failed. > I can visualize that the engine may have held 5/8 pounds of oil pressure > and the idiot light might not have signaled the operator but as heat > built up and the oil thinned it could have continued with enough pressure > that the sender might not activate the oil indicator light. > During installation the case may have originally dropped together > properly but considering Murphy's law the bearing could have moved as the > case was rotated, rolled over or handles in the bolting together process. > As for the snap together, the case is a precision fit and when you drop > the top (left side) onto the bottom side (right side) with the case in a > holder, on an engine stand, sitting on wood blocks it just gravity drops > into place with a snap sound. Any misalignment at this time and you'll > know something is holding the two halves apart. > > Stan

Hi Stan!

Thanks for the detailed reply! I was confused because I forgot that you'd given a pointer to a picture. Whoops!

Ok, I'm finally looking at the picture. So what we're seeing is the back of the bearing shell where the registration pin bit into it? And as a result of the bearing shell being misaligned, the oil hole for that bearing is blocked. The reason for the lack of oil pressure I'm not so clear on, I can't remember where the oil hole is with respect to the registration pin, but if they're near each other I can imagine oil coming out freely under the shell... is that what was happening?

I recall having a hell of a time getting the case to go together easily on my '81. Kept knocking stuff out of alignment, etc. But it's easy to tell when everything is right.

Regards,

Gary