Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 2002 00:49:21 -0400
From:         Joe <mejoe_subs@OCO.NET>
Subject:      FS: 83.5 Westy: Norfolk, Va.
Comments: cc: Me <mejoe100@oco.net>

83.5 Westy for Sale: Norfolk, Va.

This is an 83.5 Westy WaterBoxer with 75K original miles. The paint is chalky and there is some minor seam rust but the body is otherwise sound. The interior is solid and everything works but the vinyl "wallpaper" is off in numerous places. Mechanically, it starts great and runs fine when cold but stumbles and stalls when it warms up. I believe it is only a minor problem. Folks from the list have told me that it is likely the O2 Sonsor or some other emmision control related problem because these things are essentially off when the engine is cold (and running fine) but turn on and kick in when the engine is warm (and stumbling). In spite of the potential simplicity of the fix it has been sitting in my driveway for some months unrepaired because of a stroke I had a while ago that hit me pretty hard in the short term memory and cognition department. The effect of this is kind of like Alzheimer's. Over the last few months I have I have been starting it twice a week or so to keep the lifters filled. Each time I do I tell myself I will track down and fix the trouble "soon" but the truth is I am no longer capable of doing much of anything on the old girl anymore. I have been in denial for months but the time has come to find her a new family.

I live in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Virginia area. I am no longer employed so the old girl is available for inspection pretty much anytime. Interested parties please email or call me.

As for price, I am asking $2000. I figure a very low mileage 83.5 Westy in excellent shape is worth a minimum of $4000. My Westy is somewhat short of excellent but I figure about $1000-$1500 maximum will bring her into excellent shape. The $2000 for clear title to the Westy leaves you a $500 buffer. Included in the sale are both a Bentley and a Haynes plus a POR-15 kit I bought for the minor seam rust. If the trouble is as minor as I think it is you may be able to fix it quickly and drive it away to her new home.

Email: mejoe100@oco.net Phone: (757) 495-6377