Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Aug 2002 06:18:59 EDT
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exausted
Comments: cc: trollboy_1@LYCOS.COM

In a message dated 8/9/2002 3:34:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

> Could some one please tell me what the cheapest way out is on replacing the > exaust system on my '87 Vanagon?

Cheapest is not always the best. You gotta figure what you want. My suggestion is invest the money in the system that will last the longest and not have to be bothered with again. These conditions can be met by using the <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Muffler & J-pipe</A> which I sell and the DANSK stainless steel headers from <A HREF="http://www.busdepot.com/">The Bus Depot - Discount VW Parts</A>. The CAT if you need it can be obtained from most any good auto parts or the Bus Depot. The cast iron collector piece if needed can be obtained at the Bus Depot. If using your old cast iron collector piece make sure all three of the mating surfaces are clean and flat. See the STEBRO/Vanagon site for customer comments on price comparisons. When you do this project I highly recommend you replace all eight of the head flange bolt/studs with stainless steel hardware using bolts of the proper length at all locations and installing heilicoils or time-serts in all eight of the head exhaust port flange connections. It will be much easier to do this job by dropping the engine as the rear exhaust port connection on the heads are impossible to work on with the engine in place. Make sure the bolt holes in the header flanges are one size larger than the bolts so there will be no lateral stress on the flange joint. This would be also the time to check the condition of the engine push rod tins and replace or repair them as necessary as they connect to the exhaust port flange lower bolts. Make sure all mating surfaces are clean and flat. Use Permatex or Loctite RTV, high temperature head gasket sealant on all gaskets. Header gaskets, metal side toward the head. Doughnut gaskets, make sure the bevel in the CAT's both ends is there if not create it with a rotary tool, use the sealant here also. There is more info regarding the use of the doughnut gasket on the STEBRO/Vanagon website. When installing the system do not tighten any of the connections until you have the entire system in place, then slowly tighten all the connections so that there is no undue stress on any one of the connections. Hope this helps !

Cheers

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm">BusFusion</A> a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 2003 '87 Westy & Lionel Trains Member: <A HREF="http://www.vanagon.com/">Vanagon List</A>, <A HREF="http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/">LiMBO</A>, <A HREF="http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/">IWCCC</A> & Capital City VW Club Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm">STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers</A>   <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html">Frank Condelli & Associates</A> or http://frankcondelli.com