Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:12:07 -0400
From:         Cooper Jonathan <Cooper@BQMLAW.COM>
Subject:      Re: Optima Battery Question (cutting terminal posts?)
Comments: To: I4VW@AOL.COM

I felt the need to weigh in here. I agonized about this for weeks. There really isn't a right Optima Battery that just fits into a Westy GL. There evidently is space in the Half Camper under the seat, but if you have a stove, you will have the same problem I did with the Yellow top. It will not go quietly under the drivers seat. You have options. You can saw the top terminals down. This will screw up your warranty according to Optima. The other problem that I have only heard rumored is that if you go to far, you may get "under the lead" of the terminal with other consequences that I do not understand r recall. Next, you could follow the Harold and Nancy method (beautifully illustrated on their web site) and leave the battery upright with the posts toward the back. Then you build a little "dome" or something like a hill you used to build for your train set, to go over the now protruding posts. Finally there is the cut the van approach. You can cut two notches in that piece of bar stock that keeps you from laying the battery on its side with the posts. I used my Dremel with a carbide cutter. This was not the most efficient method.

I agonized for a long time. I was all set to build my little domes and finally was convinced to cut the van. It had been a year and I am happy with it. There is no structural issue. I still have the behind the seat storage and I found the side terminal a lot easier to use. Your results may vary. I can unequivocally say that I love tis battery. It is everything that has been represented.

Jonathan R. Cooper Brzytwa, Quick & McCrystal 900 Skylight Office Tower Cleveland, OH 44113 216-664-6900 (voice) 216-664-6901 (fax) Cooper@BQMlaw.com JonathanRCooper@directvinternet.com

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Davis [mailto:I4VW@AOL.COM] Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 8:53 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Optima Battery Question (cutting terminal posts?)

In a message dated 08/09/2002 10:02:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, wilden1@JUNO.COM writes:

> Get the right Optima Battery for your van. > If they don't have one that fits ................. blow them off and > stick with known to be good products. > Cut the post, cut your warranty up. ------------- Agreed. If you're going to put out the big bucks, you might as well get the correct battery instead of hacking it up.

Tom