Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:53:18 -0400
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Audi-VW-Diesels] Klankenstinkenwagen
Comments: To: "Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com"
          <Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: "jrasite@eoni.com" <jrasite@eoni.com>

Jim: Disconnect the hose from the top of the vacuum pump, start the engine and put your thumb over the pump outlet (inlet?). If you feel suction, you probably have a leak in the hose to the brake booster. If no suction, the vacuum pump is suspect. From the pictures you have posted on the WetWesties site, it appears you have the old diaphragm-type vacuum pump. There are rebuild kits available for these (frequently on eBay).

Since it appears you have a Rabbit/Jetta engine in there, you're noise problem may be influenced by the air cleaner set up. On a stock Vanagon diesel, the air cleaner is plumbed to a snorkel that goes up the inside of the left rear corner, sucking air through the vent on the side of the van. Your pics look like the air cleaner is just sucking air from atop the engine itself. This intake noise can contribute quite a bit to the overall engine noise. Go to your FLAPS and get some flexible air cleaner hose and route that intake somewhere else. Also, does your engine cover close completely with the Rabbit/Jetta injection pump lever? Check the seal around the cover and if you have a bed cushion to put over the cover, do so. This will help muffle the noise. However, noise is a problem with the Vanagon Diesel at 4500 rpm.

BTW - love the 'stinken name!

Maynard Southard (OvO) '79 '86 Double Cab Diesel "Col. Potter" '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '82 Vanagon GL Diesel "Sluggo" '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD "Donor"

On Thursday, August 08, 2002 8:08 PM, Jim Arnott <jrasite@eoni.com> wrote: >Boy... it sure is noisy in here...