Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:53:31 -0700
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ## changing 1990 2.1L waterleaker oil cooler hoses in situ
Comments: To: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Hello Ben,

All I can say is WOW!!! Your site is exactly (actually, more than I dreamed possible to find) regarding these issues. Especially those awsome pictures and descriptions. A great big HURRAY to you... And a great big thanks for your contribution to the list. Still, I didn't get the answer I'm looking for (although I now fully understand the system): I want to change the hoses without removing anything except for the hoses. I've managed this before although this task seems much more difficult. Your desrciptions are more oriented towards overhaul of the cooling system (wise move in any case). I'm just a shade tree mechanic (actually, I don't even have a shade tree...I just have my private parking spot next to my appartment, no shade except for the rear hatch...:-( Also, I don't feel comfortable working in the street. Quick change of hose OK, but removing water pump, oil cooler, coolant pipe - well, that's more for a private garage. I usually do just quick fixes. If it involves serious operations I usually let the garage do it...

SSSOOO...:

1. From your experience, can I somehow change the hoses without removing any hardware except for the hoses and clips? I know it's not the easiest method, but can it be done?

2. Also, there's that trick of replacing the coolant hoses (2) and pipe (1) from the thermostat with a single 5/16", 2 foot hose. Would that be easier since I don't need access to the two connection points to the pipe, just to the oil cooler and thermostat housing? It will also be cheaper in the long run, as it would cost me only about $4 for such a single tube with less work,each time I need to do it.

More comments on your response follow:

--- Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> wrote: > Hi T-man, first lest me tell you that yours dealer > is a dumb ass, removing > the exhaust!

Well, he's not trying to save me money, but actually enlarge his bank account...he's not dumb at all...:-)

> The parts are about 6$ Canadian each, they took 48 > hours to order!!! > (Available at the main VW warehouse in Toronto, I am > in Montreal)

Here they cost about $16 each, and this doesn't include their work and throwing away all the coolant...(about $50).

> The easiest way to do this job (I just did one last > week) is to remove the water pump and-or the big > metal cooling bypass black tube between the water > pump and the thermostat), carefully look at all my

Not as easy as I want...

> easier, at the same time you should change this one > (60$). Check my site > for a step-by-step procedure at: > http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/water_pump.htm

I changed the water pump and oil cooler about 3 years, 37,000 miles ago. Doesn't seem to need replacement just yet (no leaks).

> The hard way is to remove the oil cooler only, to do > so:

I'd prefer not to touch it. I might cause a leak from the seal to the engine.

> Without removing the big metal cooling bypass black > tube, you will have a > harder time reaching the 2 collar that hold the > tubes to the oil cooler but > it is feasible.

I thought I might just snip the clips and hoses and install new, screw-type ones (easy to install in-situ).

> If you need more info or picture please ask, it's > free (he he he)

Yep, your opinion for a quick and dirty (but still reliable) fix to my leaks from the oil cooler hoses... I just want to know if I can wrangle my hands to do the job without removing anything...i.e. clip the hose straps, the hoses (so as not to damage anything due to excessive force), install new hoses and hose clips and that's that!...

BTW, the pictures of your motor seem to show lots of rusting everywhere. Were they actually from your motor or from another vehicle?

===== Cheers, T-man.