Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Aug 2002 16:07:54 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      [FIX] Fixing the Westy sink drain strainer assembly

Well, do I feel like an idiot (but I have redeemd myself at last). For years, I have been unhappily dealing with a cheap chrome plastic sink drain which was bought from an RV supply place. I tried buying a nice stainless unit from a plumbing supply place, but could not seem to get it to work. Both drains would stand up too high from the bottom of the sink and prevent the sink from draining completely. If I tried using anything other than the included thick rubber gasket (which was causing this problem) the sink would leak badly.

Well, as I was prepping the Syncro for our upcoming trip, I came across the nice stainless sink strainer unit under my rear seat. Staring at it and wondering if I should throw it away it suddenly dawned on me:

"What if I put the gasket *underneath* the sink, and simply butted the drain into the sink directly..."

Lo and behold, I have fixed my problem. Doh! I dropped the strainer into the sink, and then from *underneath* I fitted the thick rubber gasket, and then screwed on the P-trap assembly hand-tight. No caulk or other goop - just the hardware, and it works perfectly. Now I even have a strainer to catch junk which will also stopper the sink. (It has been holding for over an hour so far). I will be a proverbial "happy camper" now! ;-)

Here is the type of unit I used: http://www.cornerhardware.com/hardware/iteminfo.html?action=iteminfo&item=03 2888312029&cat_id=594

The package is labeled "JR DUO STRAINER 75-2128"

Brent Christensen '89 GL Syncro Westy "Klaus" Santa Barbara, CA