Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 2002 03:21:59 -0700
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ## changing 1990 2.1L waterleaker oil cooler hoses in situ

Hello again,

Thanks to all who responded to my post (and especially Ben huot who offered an amazing site with in-depth pictures of how to do the job, very useful for those who never done it before an can learn what to expect).

http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/water_pump.htm

Still, I haven't really gotten an answer to my specific situation, because everybody recommends dismantling this or that (water pump, oil cooler, oil cooler seal, all the rubber hoses or metal tubes, big coolant tube from water pump etc.) because it makes the job easier or is a good countermeasure for future failures. Although I agree with these suggestions, I would like to leave the overhaul to a future date when necessary, possibly when doing other major operations in the area. Right now, I want to just fix my specific problem (1/2" slit in hose from oil cooler to tube from thermostat) quickly and cheaply. My water pump, oil cooler and seal (and motor...) have been replaced (new VW parts) about 5 years, 60,000Km ago but I have been using just OEM (Autobahn G11) coolant as a safety measure and they don't seem to leak at all. Maybe the oil cooler hoses weren't replaced then (stupid if that's so. I didn't know much then and relied on my dealer's garage).

I estimate changing all the hoses, coolant at the garage would cost me about $200, while a single hose would cost me just $10 if I can wrangle it in (with the relevant pride of DIY to boot...).

So here are my specific questions, I'd appreciate comments from those who have actually done it and can share their experience:

1. Has anyone managed to replace any of the small, right-angle hoses from the oil cooler WITHOUT removing ANYTHING, either from above or from below, without a lift (only one respondent said he did it successfully).

2. If #1 above isn't possible, can it be done by removing the oil filter for improved access (without draing the oil)? A method must be devised to stop engine oil from leaking (e.g. by temporarily plugging the filter port openings with a sealing disk and cap or some sticky stuff). Again, anyone done it from above or below, without a lift?

3. People have been talking about replacing the oil cooler -> thermostat hoses and metal tube with a single simple 5/8" hose. I wonder if anyone has actually done it, how easy it is and how reliable (because that hose will pass near some HOT items such as the head and the exhaust tubes, or would have to be bent (like the original right-angle one) possibly restricting coolant flow and endangering the motor due to oil temperature rise. Personally, after taking a look in the motor compartment, I don't think it's a good idea but maybe someone has good (long-term) experience with this (cheap) solution.

I'm open to all good ideas... Until now, I've been reparing with my fingertips (typing...) but once I start the real work I want it to be straightforward and with no surprises or catastrophes...

===== Cheers, T-man.