Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:00:37 -0700
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ## changing 1990 2.1L waterleaker oil cooler hoses in situ
Comments: To: Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.com>

--- Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.com> wrote: > At 1:53 AM -0700 8/11/02, TinkerMan wrote: > >1. From your experience, can I somehow change the > >hoses without removing any hardware except for the > >hoses and clips? I know it's not the easiest > method, > >but can it be done? > > YESSS!! > > The key is screw type hose clamps which can be > positioned so > that they may be tightened from below....or > wherever your hands > find the best angle.

That's what I was thinking.

> I was able to accomplish the replacement WITHOUT > loosening the waterpump pulley or anything else > except the lower screwclamp on the other hose (the > narrower one that attaches to a metal pipe) and > rotating it out of the way...

You mean the smaller, almost straight one coming from the small port on the water pump?

> my hands are > relatively small but the job of removing the top > hose clamp AND replacing the bottom end of the hose > onto the nipple on the oil cooler was an ABSOLUTE > BITCH!

Did you do it from above or below, with or without a lift? It seems I'm in an even worse scenario because the hose I want to replace is the one on the other oil cooler potr coming from the thermostat, which has even worse access restrictions...:-( Might have to remove the oil filter to gain access.

> WHAT A BONEHEADED DESIGN! Both for the > vulnerability AND the amount of gymnastics required > to effect a replacement,

AGREED!!! But why can't we cook-up a mod that will elliminate this stupid design (one of many others, e.g. the head gasket problem...) I guess all these boneheaded designs came from VW's decision to wrangle the aircooled engine into water cooled, resulting in LOTS of external hoses. Too bad they never offered a better motor (although now many aftermarket conversions are popular as well as an I4 from SA. I can't use those options as they're illegal here).

>The reason the hose deteriorated over time is sort > of obvious: It's within about an inch of the exhaust > header with no shielding or protection from heat...

Of course. So we need to cook-up a heat shield to avoid this in the future...

===== Cheers, T-man.