Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:28:16 -0400
From:         John Tomljenovic <zadar72@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Have relays, will be brighter lights (experience and helpful tip)

Hello listers,

Just completed the headlight relay mod to my vangon "Elsa". I regret not doing it before! My lights are much whiter and project farther than before, now I can't wait to install my euro H4 lights. Despite the troubles I had with the install, having wrong wires, running out of proper connectors endless trips to the hardware store, etc, etc... If I had to do it again It would take me 15 minutes, but isn't that always the case. I ended up using a the technique of retaining the stock wiring and fuses to the lamps, the completely independent setups seemed like overkill, and I like to keep things as original as possible. There is a really good schematic that I used which I stumbled upon in the list but now of course have failed to find again, it is floating around there though. Mabye someone can point me back to it.

the biggest problem I encountered was finding a connector that would work in the high/low beam switch on the steering column. I did not want to cut the original wires, after much unsuccess, it dawned on me, why not use a the wires and connector from a doner vanagon! for 5 bucks from my local mechanic, who always has a couple stripper vans on hand, I had a whole high/low beam switch connecter and about a foot of wires. I just removed the two wires from the donor I needed to trigger the relays and used them on the steering column. Plugged the originals (56a & 56b) that were going to the high/low switch and instead directly to the relays. As per official vanagon.com instructions. I ended up putting my relays on top of the steering column mount with some doublesided tape.

Looks real smooth. And the only extra wire needed is a ground for the relays (easy) and a 10ga power lead from the battery (not so easy) I had a automatic, and routed my power lead though a hole under the shifter housing. Good luck to those who wish to take this on and hope my rambling helps.

johnny t