Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:12:10 -0400
From:         Dustin Fitch <dfitch@MASSINSIGHT.COM>
Subject:      Exhaust Success!-except  the Strap!!

Hello All!

Last week I had inquired about some things regarding replacing the exhaust system on my '85 Vanagon. After diligent research and great advice from y'all here on the list......I have success! I was real worried about removing some of the exhaust bolts from around the motor....as in breaking them off!...but with a little, well no, alot, of liquid wrench, mystery oil and every other thing I could possibly think to apply, and some real care in torquing on those bolts....they came out....none broken!! Woohooo!! I put a light sanding on all my new exhaust components and put several coats of high heat black paint on those babies.....used metric stainless steel bolts nuts and washers (what a pain to find!!)....and put in the new O2 sensor. Looks great!

The only thing that is incomplete, the most simple thing of course to install, is the muffler strap that I know y'all know is not produced anymore. What a bummer. For now, until I can have one made....OR.....(maybe maybe maybe)...someone on the list here has a muffler strap around that will work, I have used a good thick piece of wire (ok, it's a coathanger) as a "pseudo" strap that I have connected to the same apparatus that usually holds the strap. It'll work for a while, but my problem is that I have to pass a MA state inspection.......unless I hit just the right place (uh hum) that won't take a real good look at it....I will fail. The wire job is a good one, nice and clean, and I also sprayed it black with the same stuff I used on the muffler.....but if they put it up on the lift, which most places in MA do now, to check it all out, they can't help but see it. Bus Depot told me I could fabricate a new strap, which eventually, I suppose I will have done if no one on the list can point me to one or maybe has one laying around. As rare as they probably are now, my hopes that someone has one are slight. But I thought I would ask.

Thanks to all of you on the list who helped me out with this.....instead of it taking me 4 days, it only took me two nights after work to complete. I could not have done it as efficiently nor as well without you folks.

Thanks again...

Dustin, '85 Vanagon Sunroofy - "Chuba"