Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:01:05 -0500
From:         Jon Joyce <okartguy@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New tires on my '81... whoopee!

I finally replaced the cheapo (and dangerous) whitewalls the PO saw fit to install on my '81 Transporter. In their place now resides a set of Dunlop Radial Rover RVs in size LT27x8.5x14, mounted on the stock steel rims. These particular tires are $67 each from the Tire Rack, and shipped to my home in OKC in two days. These are an admittedly aggressive, off-road tire, but the six-ply sidewall and lugged tread inspire a lot more confidence than did the previous set. Plus, I have to admit they look just amazing, and with freshly-painted wheels (tan, to match the top half of the bus) and no center caps they make the van look like a military Syncro. I drove to work this morning at 70mph in fairly heavy rain, and never once felt the van wiggle or hydroplane. Now to go find some mud to play in!

JJ