Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:22:59 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Why this type IV engine caught fire,
              spun the mains and ruined everything.

This picture is for would be rebuilders of all VW engines. http://www.williamwareagency.com/forsale/stanvan/pin.jpg This was a simple error in snapping the case halfs together. The phone may have rang, the installer may have stepped away for a drink of water, whatever. The results are the same, the bearing was deformed and lost oil pressure causing burned out bearings, ruined crankshaft, ruined case, ruined the heads and worst of all an engine fire that destroyed the Vehicle. The number 3 bearing and oil slinger at the fan were welded to the crank shaft. This is one of the few engines I've seen that I just hauled to the dumpster so I wouldn't ever be tempter to use any of the parts. The fire caused the heads to have slight melting and the case showed slight deforming in the oil galleries across the back of the engine, the oil cooler was melted as was the engine fan shroud and cooling fan. All of this heat was enraged but firemen hosing down the burning magnesium fan shroud before they identified the enhanced fuel source. It is mandatory that you have an oil pressure gauge after a rebuild to avoid this scenario. The low oil pressure would have set off your alerts and saved this Vehicle. I can't speculate about the rebuilders but he did install all quality parts and this was the only known fault I discovered.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia