Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Aug 2002 17:53:25 -0700
From:         Gary Lee <gary2a@TELUSPLANET.NET>
Subject:      Re: SURVEY - How much would you pay for a rear spare tire carrier?
Comments: To: syncro@yahoogroups.com

--------- original message ------------------

I have seen all three installed on Syncros, and I have the following comments:

1. The Ortec unit looks kinda cheap and flimsy, particularly compared to the quality of a Paulchen rack, for example. It is made from zinc-plated steel tubing that appears to be fairly thin-walled. The brackets don't look like they fit quite right, and I would not personally want one installed on my Syncro. It reminded me of those aluminum folding chairs that you bring to the beach - it they get bent, they never quite fold up right again afterwards. Like the beach chairs, they apparently do the job for some people, though.

2. Gary Lee's unit appears to be of excellent quality and workmanship (similar or even superior to the Paulchen racks). The big drawback in my mind is that you will not be able to open the rear hatch very easily with a 15" tire mounted back there.

3. The OEM $3,000 unit is truly a thing of beauty. Stoutly built, very nice workmanship. The brackets all apear to fit the body and bumper of the Vanagon perfectly, and it opens and closes without sagging or catching. And the wheel cover that says "Syncro" is so trick. Unfortunately, there are VERY few of us that can justify spending $3,000 for a spare tire carrier. (that is more than an entire set of brand new 15" tires and fancy 15" wheels!)

I missed the first part of this thread, sorry if I'm out of context or out of line ..........

I have been thinking about building a swing away carrier for a couple of years now. Maybe now I should get off my ass and do it. I have been holding back because I assumed demand would not be very high. It's only of interest to syncro owners who have gone to bigger wheels. I would expect the price would be less than $400.

What side should the hinge be on? If its on the drivers side, I expect that you would have to remove the westy cabinet to get access for hinge installation. That would be a big hassle. The OEM VW carrier is on the right (passenger) side, so maybe that's best.

Any suggestions for design or features you would want? Maybe I could make it a multipurpose "swing away" carrier so that you could carry either a tire or a gas can or maybe a couple of bikes, for example.

Thanks Gary Lee http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/vanagonrack.htm