Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:34:21 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: RV recall on fuel injectors on Vanagon 1990 Multivan Westie
Comments: To: vanagons@ntplx.net

At 05:23 PM 8/8/2002, vanagons@ntplx.net wrote: >David, >Could you repeat what you wrote to Virginia, for the benefit of us who missed >it, but also are affected? Thanks, >Doug '90 GL

Here it is, FWIW..

>I just found out that there is a recall on the fuel injectors/system on my >model - it is called a "RV" bulletin. Do you know anything about it ?

Take it to the dealer and have the recall done. VW pays. <g> Instruct them to use new hose for the connections between the fuel rail and injectors -- if they're at all reasonable this should be a few bucks at most. Ask to see the old hose...

If they're not reasonable, tell them to skip it -- replace the hoses yourself or have your shop do it. In any case, replace all rubber fuel hoses between the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator. If the bulkhead fitting on the firewall is plastic, replace it or remove it and connect hose directly without using the fitting. http://www.vanagain.com/ has replacement kits including hose and good stainless-steel clamps, and instructions. This system runs at around 40psi pressure, and engine fires from fuel sprays are a definite problem, usually destroying the vehicle.

All work on fuel lines between filter and pressure regulator must be *clean* -- tiny tiny specks of grit can foul the injectors. Use brake cleaner to clean things, and don't use compressed air while the system is open -- plug openings as quickly as possible.

-- David Beierl - dbeierl@attglobal.net