Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:51:50 -0700
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      DIY / Homemade coolant system pressure testing

Hello Volks!

Following a recent coolant hose rupture probably as a result of excessive coolant pressure due to radiator fan resistor failure, I have decided it was time to devise a method to check that coolant expansion tank pressure release cap and cooling system in general, whenever I wanted to (and not having to go to the dealer just for that). AFAIK, that pressure release cap has a 15psi threshold that releases extra pressure into the coolant reserve tank and sucks coolant back when vacuum inside cooling system increases above about 3psi (it's a dual threshold device). In lieu of a commercial VW coolant system pressure test tool, which has adapters for testing both the cooling system as well as the cap, I've thought of an extremely lowcost method to test the above. I was thinking of connecting a lowcost bike pump with integrated gauge (I already have) to the cap union (the one that goes to coolant reservoir). Of course, there would be some inherent inaccuracies due to the pressure drop across the cap pressure valve, but still, I would be able to check for cooling system pressure leaks and test pressure release valve functionality (both ways) in an approximate fashion. What I'm concerned about is possible damage to the expansion tank cap pressure release valves due to non-standard operation of the cap (normally, it never experiences appreciable back pressure from the coolant reservoir. Here is my test procedure:

1. Disconnect hose from coolant expansion tank cap (easy). 2. Connect cap union (is that the right term?) to the gauged bike pump with adapter. 3. Slowly (and carefully...) start pressurizing the cooling system. Verify that air starts to go into system at about 3-5 psi max (tests the reverse valve). 4. Continue pressurizing the cooling system to about 20psi (15psi maximal permitted pressure PLUS reverse valve threshold of about 3-5 psi). 5. Stop pumping, and look for any leaks in the coolant system (this time without motor running and hot coolant squirting around...). Make sure that pressure on gauge doesn't drop over time due to leaks. 6. disconnect pump from cap union, and listen to some air going out due to 15psi pressure release valve activation (now that the reverse back pressure has been removed, the 15psi release valve goes into action). Not much air should go out, because we had only a few psi over 15psi). 7. Release pressure by removing cap, and topping off if necessary.

My questions: 1. Anybody been doing this already with good results? 2. Any foreseeable damage to the cap valve mechanisms due to these games? 3. Any other suggestions?

Due to our waterleakers being extremely vulnerable to coolant leaks, I think the above test procedure could help safeguard us from unexpected failures along the road, which as always happen at the most unexpected times...

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

===== Cheers, T-man.