Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:10:54 -0700
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@HIGHSPEEDPLUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2.1 WBX eating coolant.
Comments: To: Mick Kalber <redhotlava@HAWAII.RR.COM>

Greetings Mick,

I have had this problem in the past I have solved it. What was happening on my system isn't' entirely clear but , one day I was under the van with a good strong light source and notice dry coolant colored stains on a few of my hose connections. It seems as if the connections were ok while the engine was cold and then warmed up, but they appeared to leak slowly as the engine went from hot to cold, i.e. after being driven. since the leaks were small, i.e. seepage or weepage, and the engine was hot, the liquid evaporated before dripping off the van. In fact many Vanagons leaks on tanks and failed plastic pipes, like the manifold distributor, can be seen as dried coolant stains. Wipe the area off and look again in a week. If the stain reappears, start checking after the van has set for 10 minutes or so. I had several of these connections so the effect was a empty tank every week or two.

Well, I went though a series of failed attempts to correct the problem. First I noticed that the offending clamps were relatively loose, so I retightened them. Incidentally the method I use, it to tighten the clamp on the hose until you can rub your finger across the clamp hose area and not feel the clamp's band protruding, then give the screw an addition 1/4 to 1/2 turn. But when I checked on the connection in a couple of weeks to a month later I found that the clamps loosened up again .. So I installed new stainless steel hose clamps, diesel style vibration resistant hose clamps, cleaning the connections, removing the hose and scuffing up the plastic pipe, etc. , etc. Still clamps that seem to need retightened and I'm still getting this weepage.

Well then it seemed that only it was only the screw type or worm gear type hose connections that were causing the problem-- Not all of my worm gear type clamps were weeping, especially the ones on over metal pipes. But only the worm gear clamps over some plastic pipes. After agonizing over the next step, I decided to reinstall the VW spring type clamps and just buy the spring clamp pliers. NO LEAKS, I haven't added coolant since. I'm told that the spring type clamps do go bad, on occasion, so be advised that a new spring clamp may be needed if you originally removed a spring clamp in favor of a worm style clamp.

Not the best ending to a story, but a possible conclusion seems to be the thermal expansion and contraction of plastic pipes with hose, require some type of variable force to be applied to maintain a leak or weep free connection on long term basis.

Sincererly,

Mark Keller 91 Carat Cowichan Bay Vancouver Island, BC