Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:21:12 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot $199 Side Tent in action / Kampers near Knoebels

> Just spent the last 2 weeks camping in Gros Morne National Park (Nfld) > and elsewhere with my new side tent. Check this album for some pictures: > http://home.tomrowsell.com/aug2002/ > > The design of the tent is really nice...lots of room for all four of us. > We had it filled with folding chairs, a 2' x 4' picnic table with benches, > a portable toilet, a thermos grill2go bbq, and a honkin' 4 foot long rubbermaid > action packer. I did not use the included sleeping cabin so I can't comment on it. > Overall, it completely eliminated the usual cramped feeling associated with a > family of 4 in a westy. Depending on the wind, you can erect 2 poles and > convert either the right side or the front into a canopy. > > My only complaint about the tent is that the stitching is really weak and poor. > There's not enough "stitches per inch" in most areas. We had to take a needle > and thread to it a couple of times. Also, as soon as the wind stretched any of > the seams, the rain leaked in, but seam sealer fixed that problem. Considering > the price of other side tents, I consider it to be a good value. Just buy some seam > sealer, and take a sewing kit with you. Also, we were set up in a windy area that > gave the tent quite a buffeting.

Thanks for your report, Tom, and for your link to pictures of the tent in use. I fully concur with your assessment (including the comment that it could have used more stitches per inch on the seams; I, too, could see the need to have to manually add a few more stitches here and there, if not right away possibly over time). With regard to your use of a seam sealer, the manufacturer does indeed recommend that the seams be treated with a tent seam sealer to make it waterproof (as is recommended with many tents). Seam sealers can be found just about anywhere where tents are sold (even Wal-Mart). More info on this tent is at http://www.busdepot.com/tent.jpg .

I will be at Kampers Near Knoebels in two weeks, in Pa., along with my family (wife Evon and 4 year old Haley) and a couple of friends with their 3-year old daughter. Ben Stiles, the organizer of KnK, suggested that I bring one of the tents along, as several people who are going had mentioned that they'd like to see one "in person." If anyone wants to buy one at KnK (and even use it there), shoot me an email and I'll bring an extra one.

By the way, KnK promises to be a lot of fun, particularly for those families with children. Knoebels, the nearby amusement park, is a great park for kids and adults alike - it has a lot of history and the cost is very reasonable (you can pay by the ride or by the day; the prices are low, and even the food/drink stands are not overpriced). If you're anywhere near central PA., I'd highly recommend this as perhaps the most family/kid oriented of the summer VW campouts. Details are at http://www.geocities.com/bens_bus/knk.htm .

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT