Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:31:50 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: why didn't my van start??

I know you feel spastic right now, but first off don't worry. This *could* be something minor.

The first thing I would do is allow the van to cool completely, then try to start it with a SMALL burst of starter fluid in the hose that leads from the PCV valve to the intake. If it fires on starting fluid, even if for only a few seconds, then proceed to (B) below.

(A) If it doesn't fire with the starting fluid, pull all the plugs, clean and regap them. Check the compression. Less than 100 psi? motor is close to toast and won't start when hot unless you use "Motor Honey". Around 110-120 or above, the fault lies elsewhere. Add a pint of Motor Honey and try again.

(B) the fault is not mechanical. Check the timing. Bleed the FI lines by loosening the fuel line fitting at the pressure regulator and cranking until fuel comes out BEWARE THIS IS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS, AND YOU SHOULD HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEARBY, AND COMMON SENSE IN YOUR HEAD>>>DON'T SMOKE, ETC... Try cranking again with cleaned/regapped plugs.

YES, FI systems can suffer from vapor lock, though it is rare in the Vanagon. However, the aircooled motor can discharge a LOT of heat in the minutes following shut down, particularly if you have been driving on the highway, and it is hot out.

Let us know what happens.

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278

81 Air cooled. Runs flawlessly. Until a few hours ago.......

Today it failed me for the first time in ten years and I don't understand what it could have been.

Its around 90 degrees today, and I drove about 20 miles to pick up my son. Turned the van off, and spoke with some folks for about 10 minutes. When I got back in and tried to start it up, it sounded okay for a split second, like it was about to fire up, and then it just cranked and cranked and refused to start.

I think most of us know how our vehicles sound when all is well, and for an instant, it was okay, and then sort of, well, stopped firing and never did start up.

Cranked just fine. In fact, it spun the engine pretty fast, almost faster than when it is cranking up to start. No sign of any ignition taking place. Hope that makes sense. :)

I got spark out of the distributor, although I only checked one of the four wires.

At that point, I realized that I know nothing about these engines with regards to troubleshooting a no start.

I waited, in the heat, for about 10 minutes, and tried again. Same result, just a fast cranking, but absolutely no sign of any ignition happening, or any chance of it catching. Just cranking along.

I called a friend and when he arrived, after about 30 more minutes, I tried again. Still nothing. Just spinning over and over.

He rope towed me home. What an adventure. I thought I would need the truck escape lane at one point :) and when I rolled up in front of my house, after about a 50 minute tow, I tried it again, and after a longer than normal cranking, it started up. Right in front of the guy I took away from Sunday dinner....... :( Probably should have waited till he left.

I will be buying lunch for Joe tomorrow, but we won't be going in the van, as I have no idea what happened, how to check out a no start scenario, and if it happened once, I assume it can/will happen again, at the worst possible moment. It has been a lot hotter around here and its never failed me, but it is still very warm if that might contribute to the situation. <shrug>

Can anyone make suggestions or offer an opinion of what might have gone wrong? I can't see driving it again until I can get some sort of warm and fuzzy about what happened.

Out in the middle of nowhere, with some tools at my disposal, what steps should I have taken to try and find the problem.

Can fuel injection suffer vapor lock? With carbs, sometimes cranking with the pedal to the floor will clear it out. What does one do with FI?

Much obliged for any words of wisdom I can apply.

Thanks for reading this far!

Regards,

John