Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:54:24 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: gas tank seal failure

Ron, The seal that failed for me was from VW. I have ordered a new one from busdepot. I do not think the seal was a defective seal. The seal had clear evidence of a fresh tear(inch and half in circle) only but after 6 months of use. My guess is the new seals graps the plastic pipe and seal more tighly than an old seal or a cheap seal. I did lub the seal with soap and there is no way I could have torn the seal during installation. The clue is that just before filling I hit a bump that made the van dip down. It is during this dip that I think instead of sliding on the plastic hose the seal binds and gets pinched and cut. Perhaps I need new shocks as well. gary Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:57:13 -0400 From: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM> Subject: Re: gas tank seal failue

> The exact thing happened to me but it took only 2 weeks for mine to > fail. I got the first seal from Bus Depot and when that failed I got > the second one from the VW dealer for about $7 bucks and haven't had a > problem with it since. I have no idea why it failed but it did look like > the tank had cut it.

Could have been an defective seal (although we have not heard of any problems with these seals). We get our seals from the VW dealer as well, so the two seals you bought should have been completely identical.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:05:07 -0700 > From: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> > Subject: gas tank seal failue > > Six months ago I replaced hoses,grommets and seals > on > my gas tank. This weekend while filling with gas > failure of a seal was left as gas on the street. > The > failed seal was the one that the plastic fill pipe > feeds into the tank. It was clearly cut by the > tank. > I had saved the old one and replaced the cut one > with the old one. The edge of the tank is not > sharp > but curved as it should be. The seal is easy to > fix > in place. Is the plastic pipe designed to move in > and > out of the seal as the van moves up and down? > Should > I apply a lubricant to allow this? Has anyone else > experienced this premature failure of a new seal in > this place. Any suggestions appreciated. I will > keep a spare seal in my parts box as this is > somewhat > of a mystery to me. Easy to fix but still > embarassing to piss gas out when you fill your tank. > regards gary > > >