Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:22:03 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@CITYNET.NET>
Subject:      where do I get propane fill valve?
Comments: To: Rogerspace2@AOL.COM

Roger,

I had a bad fill valve on our trip from PA to AZ right after we bought the '85 Westy.

Vanagon listee Karl Wolz in Phoenix helped me run around RV dealers and propane dealers for the better part of a day to find a the fill valve. Ultimately, we settled on a non-auto-shutoff file valve and a manual 80% valve.

Just in case you're not familiar with propane tanks, the tanks are never filled to 100% liquid. To allow for expansion, the tanks are filled to 80% liquid. The tank has a take-off tube at the 80% level that will close an auto-shutoff valve thus not allowing over filling. I'm not sure what the typical failure mode of the fill valves is, but I'll bet that the auto-shutoff feature has something to do with it.

Anyway, we found no such auto-shutoff valve for sale and went with a Sheridan manual fill valve (I don't know the model #, but it's basically the one that 2ill fit in the threads of the tank and has the same exterior thread as the VW valve) for about $40 and a manual 80% bleeder valve with knurled tip at an RV store for about $2.

Installation for the base job was simple, except that we decided to add an elbow and extender on the 80% valve. That is, the 80% hole is in a place that's not easy to reach, especially for a U-Haul propane filler that's not familiar with it. So the idea was to extend the pipe to move the actual valve just past the rock shield.

One other point of interest is that no RV dealer was willing to install a manual fill valve. All new installations apparently have to be auto-shutoffs. Thus, if you go this route, be aware that you'll be doing the work yourself.

Anyway, I won't bore you with the details except that I spent the next year chasing and fixing fitting leaks. The problem with finding such leaks is, of course, that you can only find them by filling the tank. Then you have to wait until the tank is empty until you can take stuff apart and fix it.

Incidentally, about a year after I put in the fill valve, the regulator blew out catastrophically. That was VERY exciting since raw high-pressure propane was dumping into the passenger compartment. Nobody was hurt and no additional equipment was damanged. Yeah, you can lecture me on having to have the external valve shut while driving. Like many folks, I run my fridge on propane while on the road so I don't lose cooling every time I stop the van. The only other lesson here is that you can't get the original regulator any more, but the replacement model will work with some tubing changes.

Sorry for writing a book. :-o

-Karl

Karl & Kristina Bloss - Hurricane, WV '85 Westfalia Camper "Fred" '87 Westy Weekender "Bev" For Sale: http://members.citynet.net/bloss/vw/ Almost Heaven West Virgina VW Club: http://wvvw.org/ "Bound to cover just a little more ground..."