Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:27:25 -0700
From:         Nolan Hester <waywest@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Wireless Thermometer for fridge

Figured listees would want to know that you can now keep track of the temp in your Westy fridge _without_ drilling holes and running wires.

I stumbled upon a _wireless_ thermometer, with a base unit, at Target that cost $25. You put the hockey-puck-sized remote part in the fridge and then put the base unit anywhere you want (up to about 100' away). It tracks inside and outside temps, plus max and min for both.

By moving the remote around inside your fridge, you can get a great sense of how the top shelf compares to the cold at the bottom, or in the door. In fact, now when I plug in the fridge overnight before a big trip, I use the remote to make sure if the unit's really cooling down before I hit the hay.

It's made by Royal (guess this is what they did after typewriter sales went south). Found it at Target over in Electrical near Automotive--look for their section with extension cords, multiple plug stuff, and wireless turn on\turn off controllers.

Here's some info online: http://www.sevensaturdays.com/lawngarden/thermometers/ws10.htm

or go to Target.com and Search for "wireless thermometer" though it looks like they're discontinuing them. (Can't find a Royal web site despite several Google searches.)

You also can find some other brands, that cost about twice as much, at: http://www.weatherequipment.com/thermometers.htm and http://www.gadgets4sure.com/

It's great to not worry about whether the fridge is keeping stuff cold on those hot days.

HTH, Nolan 87 Westy "Hanz"