Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:23:57 -0700
From:         The Old Volks Home <jimt@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1.9L coolant hose question
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Comments: cc: agondry@MSN.COM

At 07:42 AM 8/16/02 -0400, Kenneth Wilford wrote: >The bad news is that this hose is no longer available at the dealer. The >good news is that I can get it for you. The not so good news is that >recently my cheap supply of this hose has gone away. The good news is that >I can still get it but at a higher price. $80. If you want to order this >hose please give me a call. >-----Original Message----- >I have called all over to different dealers without success. Does anyone >know what the VW part number is for the coolant hose coming off the right >side front of the engine going forward? Most likely T's to the rear heater. >This hose is one size at the engine and another size at the other end. ************************************ The number, as Ken in a different post mentions, is actually a bastardized VW number that he and Ron/Bus Depot uses to try to identify the hose. The original number, as shown in the fiche and ETKA is lost to antiquity. In fact VW never sold the shorter hose here in North America (See item 11b in the ETKA/Fiche Diagram), but sold item 11 (the longer one that goes directly to the front heater core) instead and cut/spliced it for attachment to the rear heater Tee and it is indeed the "feed" hose to the core (the hottest coolant of course going to the heater core for heat). The longer hose is 251 265 055 E which is priced at an ungodly $113 or so at Volkswagen, betcha Ken or Ron has it cheeper.

I might have "gooder" news than Ken - It's available from Gates Hoses - PN 28472 and is cut at the proper length from the Head to the Tee. Sorry, don't have a price, but check your FLAPS to see if they carry Gates Hoses and get a price there. How do I know this? I installed one of these on my 84 Westy a little over a year ago when the end split at the head. I carry a spare under the bed seat box for those "on the road" emergencies in the middle of no-where, such as when I had to help a poor soul with a blown heater feed hose on his 85 Vanagon on I-5 south of Redding, CA in 100+ degree weather 4 years ago. I just happened to have the Gates hose and barely enough spare coolant at the time.

Jus' Passin' Thru............

JIm 84 Westy 2.1 "Ole Putt" 68 Beetle "Xavier" 73 Ghia Coupe "The Last Project" jimt@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net *********** **Need to find the right dizzy? http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ignition.htm OR http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ovhignbo.htm **Upgrade your 83.5-85 Vanagon to 2.1 http://www.oldvolkshome.com/19to21.htm ***********