Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:40:19 +1000
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Spare wheel Carriers

At 21:57 19/08/02 -0400, you wrote: > >Bill, >It certainly would be a lot easier to build the latch on the door, like the >Ortec. The OEM VW carrier has the latch attached in the same place as where >I did mine. Here's why I did it that way, and why I speculate VW did as >well. The VW carrier is clamped tightly at the latch, as is mine, for >strength. A rigid connection designed to restrict movement in two planes. I >expect that there is a certain amount of flexing/twisting in the body shell, >so there is a small amount of movement between the vertical and horizontal >door jams. However, I would expect that there is more movement between the >vertical door jamb and the actual door. To this end it is better to have >all attachment points on the same structure, either the door alone or body >alone.

I've had the chance to closely inspect several of these spare wheel carriers in the last few years...one on a 16" Syncro so that one was definately a OEM VW one and a couple more:...on a syncro Caravelle and a syncro Camper,which *appeared* to be the genuine article...

On all these vehicles,where the carrier attached to the vehicle adjacent the rear hatch,I observed some fatigue resulting in stress fractures and (on two of the three) the inevitable cracking of paint & egress of water causing early signs of corrosion.

I too like the concept of the rear carrier for my 5th 15" alloy wheel which won't fit under the front of the van but this cracking I've observed has made me cautious about adding one to my own van...that and the fact I'd have to drill holes in my van and I can't bring myself to do that on a van with a ding-free body & excellent original paint.

I'm sure someone will pipe up to say that they have a carrier and don't having any signs of cracking etc...maybe our Australian syncros cop some rougher roads...dunno... but this is what I've seen and it's clearly been the result of the spare wheel carrier causing flexing at the body.

My opinions/observations only...naturally,YMMV...

Cheers, Steve O Blue Mountains NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '76 Transporter Double Cab '68 Beetle '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab (work truck)