Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:48:25 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      1.9 Turbo Diesel and 2.0 Gas Fuel Economy Stats

Volks, The Wife and kids and I went to Vancouver this weekend for the Great Canadian Volkswagen Show. It was the same great event as always - I met a few more listies (hello!) and I can now put a few more names to faces!

We took our two Syncros to the show. Our 1986 Syncro Multivan and our 1988 Syncro DoKa here are the stats for the 1366km trip. We stopped at the same filling stations and drove the same distances - we tried our best to not go over the 100km/h speed limit and we did a very good job with that as I followed the wife who was driving the Multivan which had no problem keeping to the speed limit with the exception of the steeper hills that required a down shift to 3rd and a drop in speed to 85 to 90 km/h depending on the hill.

THE VEHICLES: 1986 Syncro Multivan Engine: 1996 Jetta 1.9L Turbo Diesel (non-TDI) Engine Timing: Unknown - I think a little low. Oil: Mobile 1 15W40 Synthetic CH-4 Avg Oil Temp: 125 to 130C Fuel: Petro Canada 45 cetane Summer Diesel Tires: Fulda Multitrac 205 R 16 Transmission: 4.86:1 final, 0.85 4th Odometer error: 9% low (calculated with GPS)

1988 Syncro DoKa Engine: 1995 Jetta 2.0L Block, 1986 1.8L Jetta head, CIS Fuel Injection Engine Timing: 12 BTDC Oil: Mobile 1 15W40 Synthetic SJ Avg Oil Temp: 115 to 120C Fuel: Petro Canada 87 Octane Tires: Michelin XCL 6.50 R 16 Transmission: 4.86:1 final, 0.85 4th Odometer error: 11% (calculated with GPS)

DoKa Mulivan Quesnel > Chiliwack 11.4 l/100km 10.5 l/100km Chiliwack > Van > Chiliwack 9.2 l/100km 10.3 l/100km Chiliwack > Quesnel 10.3 l/100km 11.4 l/100km Trip Average 10.6 l/100km 10.8 l/100km

Quesnel > Chiliwack 20.6 MPG (US) 22.4 MPG (US) Chiliwack > Van > Chiliwack 25.5 MPG (US) 22.8 MPG (US) Chiliwack > Quesnel 22.8 MPG (US) 20.6 MPG (US) Trip Average 22.2 MPG (US) 21.7 MPG (US)

Quesnel > Chiliwack 24.7 MPG (UK) 26.9 MPG (UK) Chiliwack > Van > Chiliwack 30.7 MPG (UK) 27.4 MPG (UK) Chiliwack > Quesnel 27.4 MPG (UK) 24.7 MPG (UK) Trip Average 26.6 MPG (UK) 26.2 MPG (UK)

The results of the Turbo Diesel seem a little low, but the Multivan is a lot heavier than my DoKa so the results can't be compared truly back to back, I really must check the injector pump timing to see what is happening too - there is still some tweaking to do here!

Still, pretty good with all things considered - especially with the price of Diesel as compared to Gasoline!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models