Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:27:38 -0400
From:         Scott Longing <slonging@VT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 85 Vanagon Hesitation
Comments: To: Peter Brandt <peter@PBCLIBRARY.ORG>

Peter,

First, disclaimer, I don't know much about VW engines but am learning quick. I had a very similar problem with my 85.

I received much input about the capacitor fix and maybe tweeking the AFM springs and tracks. Go to the archives for this.

I was going to tackle the AFM stuff but when I pulled the unit off I had some very bad electrical connections. The 2 booster boxes that receive air (one is for idle I think and the other is power steering...wish I had my Bentley with me). Anyway, the one that connected to the power steering pump and grounds to the alternator was in very bad shape. I replaced these electrical connections, upped the idle a bit which it needed badly and acceleration has been much better. Coincidentally, I began using Chevron techron gas at that time with 1 round of techron additive (about 6 bucks) and performance has been great...even considered drag racing my subaru wagon.

Anyway, the list had great input and got me through the problem.

Hope it helps.

Scott Longing Ph.D. Graduate Student 216 Price Hall Department of Entomology Virginia Tech Blacksburg, VA 24061-0319 Ph: 540-231-4039 Fax: 544-231-9131