Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:28:26 -0700
From:         J McCavitt <mccavittj@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ignition problems, subie question (Syncro crosspost)

Hello all,

Many thanks to all who posted suggestions relating to my recent ignition troubles; and the winner is..... (drumroll)

The ECU! (Cymbal crash)

Got a rebuilt unit from Vanagain, quick delivery, thanks Ken. Van runs better than ever, smooth and quiet. Confirmed the problem by removing the dist. cap, turning on the ignition, and putting a screwdriver up to the center conductor; sparking merrily away, sounded like about 3000 RPM, engine not turning. No wonder I was replacing caps every 2 months, it would do that every time the van was turned on, and eroded the carbon brush down to nothing. I think I will eat the core charge and have Darrell rebuild the old one, just to have a spare; I was preparing for a trip to Maine when the ECU packed it in, what a horror show it could have been 400 miles from home.

Quick question for Subie heads: Has anyone put a Legacy Turbo motor in a van? My '91 Sport Sedan got chewed up by a NYC construction truck yesterday, been thinking about an engine swap lately... seems like serendipity. If it gets totaled out, I'll likely part it out. Same basic engine, 2.2L, but closed-block turbo, 186HP in stock trim, plus a WRX intercooler and boost controller. Opinions?

Thanks again,

Jerry McCavitt '86 Syncro GL 15"/Betts/OME; Stable condition, under observation '91 Legacy Turbo; Critical, on life support '88 Cabriolet; mild hay fever, arthritic '73 Thing PreRunner; Hibernation