Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:31:39 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Crazy Coolant Light Question
Comments: To: Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>

Doug, if you are planning to keep your Vanagon a while I would suggest replacing your early model "43" with the improved model that came starting with late 1985 vanagons. The old one causes confusion and heart trouble when it pegs the temp gauge though the engine is not hot.

The old one blinks the LED and pegs the temp needle when the coolant is low. The new one only blinks the LED while the needle continues to indicate actual engine temp.

New is 1 1/8" tall, part number starts with - 191 Old is 1 5/8" tall, part number starts with - 251

Both have a large "43" stamped in white number on the top.

The new style is also found on 1985 and newer Golf, Jetta, Quantums.

Either type works in all vehicles so either one could have been swapped into any given year that has the level sensor in the coolant tank. If you remove the connector from the top of the coolant tank sensor and the LED blinks AND the needle pegs at the hot end, you have the old style.

Mark

Doug Alcock wrote: > > Thanks Mark..................my van is an 84............I just checked the > archives and you're right ......there is lots there. > > Cheers, > Doug > > You didn't say what year Vanagon you have this problem with. It sounds > like you are getting a "low coolant level" warning. Is the tank possibly > a little low? Not the tank you can see from the license plate door but > the main tank that you have to open the engine lid to see. It should be > completely full, no air at the top. > > If that's not it and you have a 1986 or newer you can easily help > isolate the problem by removing the relay in socket 3 marked "43" on the > relay itself. The earlier waterboxers have it in a much less accessible > spot. If you remove the relay and the problem stops then you can be > certain that the source of the problem is the "low coolant level" > circuit. > > If the problem persists with relay "43" removed, the problem is with the > engine temp sender circuit. > > This "blinking LED" trouble is a pretty common topic on the lists. I > have been thinking about writing a FAQ article for it so maybe the time > has come. > > There are 2 versions of the relay "43" so the behavior of the gauge and > LED depend on which one you have. > > Mark > > Doug Alcock wrote: > > > > Hi gang, > > > > My coolant warning light seems to have lost its mind. When I > start > > the van the light blinks and the temp needle goes off the scale. After > > driving for a while it will return to normal behaviour and then start > > blinking again. This is making me crazy --------any thoughts on what the > > problem might be??? > > > > Thanks, > > Doug