Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:31:15 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: SURVEY - I need a metal fab. project

Which brings to mind another idea; A FRONT bumper storage platform/rack. I see heaps of these on the BACK of SUV's and such, often threaded into the towing block. Since my Vanagon is air-cooled (and even H20 vans can take a little frontal obstruction in cool/cold weather), I think a 10-14" removable 'extension' to the front end would be really sweet.

Plus, it evens out the weight distribution a bit.

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278

Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM> said -

Doug -

I was thinking about that until I added a second propane tank.

Like a lot of other Vanagon owners, my rear bumper is bent, so I would like to build a replacement rear bumper that has built in storage. Nothing too big, but if it were a couple of inches deeper and taller, a useful storage box could be put between the frame bars, or possibly full width with the frame bars as dividers.

This could be used for spare oil, wheel chocks, tire chains, etc., the sort of thing that wouldn't be bothered by getting damp, and take up useful room inside. With a diamond plate lid, it would make a useful step for getting up to a roof rack. Built out of the right material, it would be a lot sturdier than the stock bumper.

Multipurpose, the best kind of addition!

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, ID mike_l_f@hotmail.com