Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:19:50 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] First South African 2.6 engine conversion done!
Comments: To: Karl M <THEWESTYMAN@MINDSPRING.COM>,
          turbovans <turbovans@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncro list <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          Syncrolist <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>

So how does one order one?

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Karl M [mailto:THEWESTYMAN@MINDSPRING.COM] Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 2:01 PM To: turbovans; Syncro list; Syncrolist; Vanagon list Subject: [Syncro] First South African 2.6 engine conversion done!

Folks, I had the opportunity to complete the very first South African 2.6 litre five-cylinder conversion available in a customer's '85 Westy, the beast is just plain awesome to drive! This kit consists of all brand-new parts, basically the exact drivetrain fitted to the vans sold in South Africa. The engine management system in Bosch Motronic, an amazing simple and smooth operating system. Included is basically everything needed for the conversion, minus a few clamps and bolts here and there. Complete exhaust system, all supports and brackets, engine including alternator and AC compressor (R-134 type!), wiring and ECU, airbox, clutch, flywheel, starter, etc. The kit is available with or without a brand-new 5-speed transmission, of course with Syncro you would reuse your existing transmission anyway. It also comes with a raised deck panel for engine clearance, HOWEVER I managed to get the engine under the existing lid with minor lowering of the engine mountings, so that no cutting of the Westy cabinets or sheetmetal was required. I also exchanged the engine lid for one from an early Vanagon, the metal type, which was trimmed a few places underneath and bubbled for an extra inch of clearance over the intake manifold and distributor areas. This allows reuse of the stock Westy bed cushion with no changes. The ground clearance is still very close to what the waterboxer had. I also added Syncro rear springs to handle the slight increase in weight, the rear of the van is now about 3/4 higher than the front, unloaded.

If you've read this far, you might wonder how it performs. Well, let me tell you, I have never driven a Vanagon with this much power and torque. It zips up to cruising speed effortlessly and smoothly, without a surge or stumble. If the need arises to pass on the highway, just push down on the throttle and away you go. People look at the you, wondering how on earth a VW van could go so fast. I tested it out on a few local hills that I go over regularly with my 1.9 TD Syncro Westy, where I always have to shift to third to maintain 40~45 mph (waterboxers even less that I have tested here) the 2.6 pulls at 55 in fifth. I am totally impressed with the available torque and overall smoothness of the engine. The Tiico pales in comparison in every respect. Upfront cost is a bit more (remember, it does include all fuel system components, exhaust, alternator and AC compressor), but the conversion is hardly more difficult to assemble than the Tiico.

I have a zip file of photos that I can send if interested, at some point I may put them up on a website. There will be a few more kits available for shipping soon. Let me know if you have interest in one. I can provide tech support should you decide to install the kit yourself. Thanks for reading!

Karl Mullendore Westy Ventures Gapland, MD 21779 301.432.4645 office 828.712.5598 mobile office