Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:41:47 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: SURVEY - Tyre widths - mea culpa

OK, I've heard enough, my flames were wrong. I can see that on sand especially, 205's and wider are going to be better. Of course the rally boys like narrower tyres for some surfaces to avoid gravelplaning, and maybe in snow or ice they can be better at cutting through to a good surface. There's probably a big difference between flying across surfaces where you want some sideloads for steering and negotiating soft surfaces slowly.

P.S. My 195 15's are :

KUMHO (Korea) 195 R15 1005 Powerguard AT 1764 Lbs 44 PSI Max

Do you think they are rated sufficiently? They were quite inexpensive and look strong with little apparent tyrewall flex I've driven the van at an AUW of about 2.5 tons and the steering got heavier, of course, but they didn't look like they were suffering.

Clive '88 Syncro

----- Original Message ----- From: "mark drillock" <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 3:59 AM Subject: Re: SURVEY - I need a metal fab. project