Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:52:52 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Not passing smog, still... Need help!
Comments: To: Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>

The low CO reading is a bit low but this may be a sign the cat is working. The fact that you have excessive HC at idle indicates a either a "lean miss-fire" or a valve problem. The lean miss fire may be caused by an out of tolerance injector or a small vacuum leak. Excessive carbon deposits on the valves may also be a problem. Most idle tests will allow you to idle the engine up to 1,100 RPM. Turn the idle up to about 1,000 RPM. This will help even the mixture across the cylinders, allow more air to reduce the HC and help eliminate the lean miss. It will also help to drive the van on the road and then immediately get it onto the test machine. You probably only have to get the HC below 200 at idle to pass. You are very close. Also make sure that the oil is fairly clean, correct viscosity, and not over-filled. Hope this helps.

Dennis

Here are the readings from today's smog test:

2662 RPM HC = 38 CO = .06 CO2 = 13.6 O2 = 2.1

Idle 900 RPM HC = 202 CO = .08 CO2 = 12.7 O2 = 3.3

Readings from the previous test. (different smog station)

2461 RPM HC = 39 CO = .10 CO2 = 15.0 O2 = .4

Idle 880 RPM HC = 199 CO = .08 CO2 = 14.4 O2 = 1.8

I have run 2 bottles of injector/valve cleaner through the tank. I have not checked the compression yet, assumed it was OK, until now. I will get a compression tester tomorrow. Timing is right on target.

Hope this info sheds light on the problem. Thanks guys!

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro

Steven--

Could you post the other numbers; (NOx, CO, CO2). The HC on its own is inconclusive. With the very limited evidence, here are a couple of possible leads to check.

1.. Bad O2 sensor 2.. low compression *(run MMO for a tank, then add Motor Honey for the test) 3.. crusty valves or injectors (run a bottle of Techron through the tank) 4.. timing off 5.. ruined cat due to expired O2 sensor for extended period (weeks/months)

Send the full numbers, and lets go from there.

Developing business and guiding change since 1996,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett Marketing & Communications Business: www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM = IExplain4u Phone: +1.919.658.1278