Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:40:23 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Opinions wanted, side bar
Comments: To: Clarence J Falarski <lamont@MINDSPRING.COM>

The real practical purpose of these bars is many. Protection for those who off road, protection from shopping carts and other rolling things in that neighbourhood, physical looks and a bit of step that some people can use for getting into the van.

These bars do not take away from the ground clearance on a Syncro as the drive shaft protection bars are still lower than these. These bars fasten to the inner frame and to the outer frame and are exactly 2.0" lower than the frame. They are made out of T6 aluminium and would weight maybe 7 to 8kg for the set - very light compared to steel.

They bolt into the existing holes on the inner frame of the Vanagon and you would have to drill some small holes on the outer frame of the van if you are going to be putting any serious amount of downward force on them. Installation time would be less than 10 minutes. Snow and ice... well, I can't say for sure, not for another two or three months anyhow - I think there would be some accumulation on them, but no more than what usually clumps onto the van to begin with.

I will be test fitting these on a Westfalia tomorrow and I will be taking pictures of the install and posting them to the list.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models