Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:55:47 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: TEXAS SMOG LAW ORDEAL (don't fear!)
Comments: To: Mark & Laura Magee <marklaura@HOUSTON.RR.COM>

We have had this testing for the last two years here in NJ. Initially many people were fearful that this new test would cause their formerly passing cars, to fail. However I have had no problems getting past emissions testing with a good running vehicle. Even my '85 Westy that has 132k miles on it and a recent tune up passed with no problems. If your van is running well you should be fine.

On a funnier note: we had a Chrysler New Yorker that my Grandmother owned that never passed the normal idle emissions testing since it was new (my aunt was the original owner). Every year they had to tweak this or that to get it through. So we were sweating to see if it would pass with the new test. I did a tune up, changed the oil, and the PCV valve. It went right through and passed with no problems. I think that the car actually ran cleaner at highway speeds than it does at idle so the dyno test helped the problem instead of making it worse.

New law here in NJ. After spending millions and millions to get this new emissions testing system up and going, and all of the political/environmental blah, blah, blah... we have a new law that says that vehicles made after 1994 are exempt from the dyno emissions test. You see OBD-II cars actually have thier own emissions test equipment built in. The oxygen sensors and other sensors in the system actually monitor your emissions and if they are bad the "Check Engine" light comes on. So 94 and newer cars that don't have the "Check Engine" light on are going to automatically pass emissions testing without ever getting on a dyno. This makes you wonder if there are enough pre-94 cars on the road at this point that are being daily driven to make a significant environmental impact (in other words did we just waste tons of money testing cars that will be in the scrap heap within the next 2-5 years? Probably.). Just my opinion. Worth as much as you paid for it :-)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242