Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:19:01 -0700
From:         Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Not passing smog, still... Need help!
Comments: To: Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>

Some more questions, if I may?

How does one successfully find a small vacuum leak and what is the best way to seal it? The vent pipes from the idle stabilizer to the plenum and others, have no clamps on them. Are they supposed to? Is there any special test I can perform to verify the function of the ISV or ICU?

Is the small exhaust leak on #3 a factor here?

Can testing the O2 sensor while it's plugged into the ECU damage the ECU? I would think it's best to test it unplugged. I ask because I remember the mechanic testing the sensor while it was still plugged in. It was right after that visit that the ECU started to die on me. On the other hand, I don't see how it would oscillate if it's not plugged into the ECU and the ECU isn't compensating the mixture, hence making the sensor react. How do I really tell if it's bad? On the O2 sensor, 0-1V, higher voltage is rich or lean?

As I had stated in my first inquiry into this subject, I have tested the injectors and they look good, now that I back flushed them. This is not to say that they are perfect, the spray pattern looked very good and equal between cylinders. This was not the case when I first tested them, #2 was clogged.

I guess I should use a better fuel from now until I get the next smog. I will take the advice of raising the idle to 1100rpm to see if this also helps. HC limits are 150 at idle and 180 at 2600rpm.

FYI- I've been told by BAR that in CA there is no limit to the amount of money you can spend to get a vehicle to pass smog. This is a newer law I think. I'll talk to the smog ref about getting extensions until next summer. I just want to get that 1.9TD installed.

-Steven Dodson Kneeland, CA "Inga" the 87 Syncro